Friday, September 23, 2011

Welcome Back Southern Stump....Where have you been? In Paris of course!!!

Hi everyone.  Yes, I have been away for a while and lazy with my blog.  That all changes now.  I went back and saw some posts and thought "You have done some super fun things since July and have some beautiful pictures that might make people smile,  make them hungry,  or just get them away from life's stress for a bit"....so I'm back.

As a first post in a few months,  what better to cover than my trip this past weekend to Paris?!  It wasn't a big long holiday,  just a quick stop in so I could see some old friends and do a bit of wandering around while enjoying the sites, smells and tastes of this gorgeous city.

I think growing up in a coastal town in North Carolina,  the idea of New York, London, Rome, and Paris were so exotic to me.  I knew I wanted to spend time in these mysterious places I had only seen in movies and read about in glossy fashion magazines....but I don't think I could have ever imagined that I would live in two of them and visit the others multiple times.  I have been very lucky with the opportunities I have been given and in the people I have met (especially my amazing man-friend who introduced me to London where we live now).  I hope you enjoy these pictures of beautiful Paris....



As far as Architecture goes overall,  I haven't seen anywhere that touches Paris.  Rome is beautiful also and I love it (prob. more than any city) but when it comes to overall cityscape and the beauty of every block...Paris takes the prize.  If you can't make a trip to France,  head down to New Orleans in The United States...they have loads of architecture with Parisian influence.  Check out my New Orleans blog HERE 

My first afternoon in town, I wanted to get some chocolate as I wandered around.  I went in a few places before finding Fauchon.  It is similar to a Dean and Deluca in New York but they have a whole separate store full of...you guessed it...Chocolate...or as the French say "Chocolat"...



An Eclair with a thin Chocolate wafer placed on top looking at you.  I think I recognize that woman!



One of each please ;)


I don't have words.  Wet looking/amazing/beautiful.

                     
Fig, Blackberry, Blueberry Tart.....(mouth = watering)


Every city I visit,  I like to enjoy the food (obviously).  There is always one dish that sticks with me.  In Florence,  it was the Gorgonzola Pear Tortellini.  Check out that goodness deliciousness on my Italy blog HERE.   In Paris this trip,  the standout/handsdown/no question dish that I will remember forever was the Black Truffle Omelette I had at Laduree'.  I saw it on the menu and questioned the marriage of truffles with breakfast,  but figured if I love omelettes, and I LOVE truffles....why not give it a try?  It basically changed my life.



It is rare that a meal defeats me. 
This omelette was SO RICH that I couldn't finish it.  
Paris - 1  Southern Stump -0


How cute are these cups?  I went to crop this image but I thought the blue "borrowed from the boys" shirt that my friend is wearing in the background is so effortlessly tres' chic that I decided to keep it. 


I tried a new restaurant this trip called Patrelle.  I have just gone to their website and it is FANTASTIC...full of beautiful pictures.  It took me back to my meal I had while there...delightful!  My favorite bit about this restaurant was the fact that they had one chef cooking for the entire restaurant.  His kitchen was in clear view of our table and I was just mesmorized by him.  It looked like he was in his kitchen at home making a meal for his family.  I was able to sneak a photo of him....the website does a much better job of illustrating how cool his kitchen was but for our purposes,  this will do.



My photos from the meal aren't great as the restaurant was dark and I felt like a touristy loser using my flash so not too many to share.  Again,  look at their website to get an idea of how BEAUTIFUL all of the ingrediants were.  I was able to doctor up the image of our complimentary appetizers. 



This is a puff pastry sitting on a bed of radishes and topped with mushrooms.  I can't remember what else was on them but they were lush!!!


The next photo and final note on Patrelle... is a perfect segue into the last portion of today's blog where I'll just add some randomness....The BATHROOM at Patrelle was really cool.  The walls were covered with overlapping oversized shells.  It was 3-dimensional and just looked really cool.   There was also a sign written in French that I thought looked interesting.  I hope it doesn't say something graphic relating to bathrooms!!!  Even if it did,  it's in French and that makes it beautiful!!!





Here are just a couple more random fun shots from my trip....



Empty Frames on a Bright Orange Wall = Southern Stump Amore


I stopped by a pop-up museum and bypassed the exhibit to head straight toward the giftshop!  As people where leaving,  they stuck their "I've paid for my entrance" stickers on a board at the exit.  I took a shot of all of the stickers slabbed together because I thought it looked quite interesting.

Outside Chanel....going for the "Caged Glamour" shot here....not bad if I do say so myself!

Thomas Jefferson is quoted saying, "A walk about Paris will provide lessons in history, beauty, and in the point of Life."  I definitely agree with that.  When in Paris,  you have to slow down,  enjoy the beauty, the food, the wine and as a result...you are enjoying life.

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment